Adventures of Missionary Heroism
Be inspired by stirring true accounts of famous missionaries! During the 19th century, many courageous and faithful missionaries were traveling to the ends of the earth to spread the Gospel. They braved innumerable dangers, toils, and tragedies. Originally published in 1912, each chapter within this volume is devoted to a specific missionary and provides a biography, as well as stories of their time in the field.
- Meet over 20 inspiring individuals of faith
- Discover their call to missions service and their sacrifices
- Explore the dangers and challenges of these pioneering servants of Christ
In addition, the book also highlights the work these believers accomplished, such as translating the Bible, providing medical aid, and converting people to Christianity. This book covers missionaries from around the world and from several different Christian denominations who served in Asia, Africa, North America, South America, and the Pacific. May these stories of those who have gone before inspire and encourage the current and future ranks of Christians, both young and old alike, to give everything for the sake of Jesus Christ.
The historical accounts of the missionaries presented in Adventures in Missionary Heroism offer tangible, real-life examples of how to “deny ourselves, take up our cross daily, and follow” in the footsteps of Jesus. Written from an eyewitness viewpoint, these are some of the greatest stories of faith to be appended on the Hebrews 11 list of the heroes of the faith.
Students and their parents will be inspired by these men and women who gave up their real lives in a real world. They faced real enemies for a real cause in order that real people might receive a real Gospel. They literally changed the world! The remarkable sacrifice and authentic love of these faithful missionaries offers vision for Christian living as well as a world history education.
Adventures in Missionary Heroism is an excellent read aloud for homeschool families. It is included in the History of the World curriculum designed for 10th - 12th grade students.
- Part I: Asia
- 1. In the Steppes and Deserts of Mongolia
- 2. In the Country of the Telugus
- 3. A Japanese Adventure
- 4. "From Far Formosa"
- 5. "The Savior of Liao Yang"
- Part II: Africa
- 6. "The Hero of Uganda"
- 7. The Lion-Hearted Bishop
- 8. Vortrekkers in Barotseland
- 9. A Pioneer in Garenganze
- 10. A Tramp Through the Great Pygmy Forest
- Part III: America
- 11. Among the Indians and Eskimos of Hudson Bay
- 12. The "Praying Master" of the Redskins
- 13. In the Land of the Dakotas
- 14. In the Forests of Guiana
- 15. The Sailor Missionary of Tierra del Fuego: Part I
- 16. The Schooner of Keppel Island: Part II
- Part IV: South Pacific
- 17. The Martyr of Melanesia
- 18. One of the Unreturning Brave